Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Another place to put my fabric.. on a door!

 Why didn't I think of this before?  I was stuffing stacks of these fabric cutouts for my Mei Tai's under my bed in a plastic bin that I had to dig through to find what I needed.  Now they are organized, handy, and displayed nicely!

I love organizing! 

2/2/2013 I've had questions on how I did this.  I had some over the door hooks/knobs laying around so I used 2 of those (they are very strong - I believe form Ikea).  I had a bunch of white twill tape.  I measured how long I wanted my over-the-door organizer - then I cut my twill tape twice that length (x2 - 1 for each side), folded the twill tape in half and skipped 3" from the fold tape then measured/marked 3/4" from there all the way down.  I then sewed lines over those marks back and forth really well.  In-between the stitched lines created little pockets to put the dowels through.  The 3" space at the top where the fold was made a nice loop to go over the knobs/hooks that were hanging from the top of the door.

UPDATE:  The weight of the fabric was pulling the door off the hinges (quite literally) so I came up with a MUCH better option.
(Click here to see)

19 comments:

Britt-Marie said...

genius! you are so creative.

{autie} said...

wow!
i love it!

Bredsguard Fam said...

Perfect!

Jordan and Jandee said...

such a great idea!

Kelsey said...

Hey- How did you make the organizer??

Sarah said...

Is this ribbon and dowel rods?

Rebecca Whetman said...

What sort if organizer did you use?

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...



When I saw your Fabric Organizer on Pinterest I thought it was a wire shelf so I followed the link to your blog and discovered it is in fact dowels and tape. I love your idea but, now that I have the shelf thing in my head I'm going to do a little measuring to see if it will work. The shelf would be an alternative for lazy folks like me.

Chloe Snyder said...

Oh my goodness, this is such a fantastic idea! I've been obsessing the last few weeks over how to organize my insane fabric stash and this right here is exactly what would work the best for me. Thank you so much for sharing!

Kathryn Longfellow said...

Clever and I live by your motto too...Congrats and thanks for sharing

Kathryn Longfellow said...

Clever and I live by your motto too...Congrats and thanks for sharing

A Lamb said...

Great idea!

Sandy Derry said...

Love your idea. Gonna make one. Thanks for sharing.

lee woo said...

I've learned that people will forget what you said,
people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. See the link
below for more info.


#said
www.mocsbar.com

SheSheWin said...

I've done something similar to this using the side rails to an old crib. It had been recalled due to being a drop-side crib. So, I re-purposed it. I have two. One is of a few completed quilts and the other is pieces of a strip quilt in progress.

Lindsay Conner said...

Hi Dani! I'd love to request permission to feature your fabric storage idea and photo on the Craftsy quilting blog, with a link back to your post. Please let me if that sounds good. Thanks!

Patricia Thompson said...

Brilliant! I think I love you, and I just wandered over to your blog today. Will be sending this to all my friends who quilt and sew.
Pat Thompson

andrea chiu said...

Things happened for a reason so be thankful for everything. Thank you for your wonderful article. I hope you could inspire more people. Please visit my site.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com